Sunday, November 6, 2011

Social Networking and Privacy


I believe myself to be an active user on social networking sites, specifically Facebook.  I often find myself checking the latest status updates on my laptop or phone.  Prior to coming to college, I would typically make a status every day.  I was a bit of a Facebook comedian, trying to post funny or clever things in order to fish for the most "likes."  Having since arrived into the college setting, I do not feel the need to publicize all my thoughts anymore.  Nevertheless,  I still stay connected to my peers by commenting on certain statuses or sharing things I find interesting.

That is not to say that Facebook has impacted me indifferently.  I, like many others, are immensely distracted by the presence of Facebook in my life.  When doing homework, I often find myself refreshing the news feed.  The greatest tool Facebook has brought to me is connection with friends from far away.  I participated in two immersion trips with high schoolers from across the country to Japan and Korea.  Meeting people from vastly different backgrounds than my own has opened my perspectives immensely.  On the same note, since they are from such different backgrounds, staying in contact is difficult.  With Facebook though, I am able to keep in touch with many of them in an online social setting.  Even if I may be thousands of miles away from some of the most wonderful people I have ever met, Facebook rebuilds these weakening connections.

The cultural move towards social networking is a double-edged sword.  In its true form and intent in mind, the social network is a powerful tool.  People are able to share many things about their own lives to others.  Connections of varying distances can be maintained over an internet connection.  However, some people choose to not use social networking responsibly.  Hence, those same people post or share things that end up getting them in trouble or causing them to later regret having done so.  I do believe that an open community is a better one because it facilitates closer relationships with others, but our society is one which tends to treasure our own privacy, which I am somewhat guilty of.  With uneducated users entering the Facebook population, many of them do not realize how much they put online for the world to see.  They tend to later regret certain actions and the media blows it out of proportion.

Personally, I have quite a bit of worry for my own privacy, but I consider myself an educated and responsible user.  I use predominantly fake information on my profile and cover up posts which I feel would be looked at negatively by others.  I do not do anything "crazy," so I do not worry about being tagged in photos that are in bad taste.  I do untag myself in unflattering photos though. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that in high school I definitely used Facebook more. I'd upload new photo albums weekly. I'd spend hours tagging friends. I'd actually use the notes application. But now in college, I find that Facebook is used more for keeping in touch with people. I use it more to update myself on my friends' lives, as opposed to broadcasting my own for the world to see.

    I, too, worry about internet privacy. But I find the best solution, as you said, is to simply be careful and aware of we're posting online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point that facebook is like a double-edged sword. I believe that it has great potential to be beneficial or detrimental to a person and society as a whole. In my experience I have found it to of great value when planning events, but it is so easy to get distracted with. Oftentimes, like you, I have found myself refreshing the news feed brainlessly.

    ReplyDelete