Thanks to technology, social interaction online is very unique in that it unites people with similar interests, forming friendships that transcend distance and time. I can relate to a great extent, having met a number of people whom I consider better friends than some of my real life ones.
My venture into the online world began in my fourth grade by joining a forum-based community called GameWinners. Here, I would converse with a number of individuals about various video games, primarily about the Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh franchises. I did not realize it back then, but I was an active member who actively contributed to conversation, both receiving help and helping others along the way to completion of these games. There were also forum based fan-fictions and role-playing where users collaborated in creating an entirely new world.
In my fifth grade, I stumbled upon the massively multiplayer online role playing game, RuneScape. I spent the next seven years actively playing the game. I admit that there were moments of addiction to the immersive gameplay. However, I had acquired a circle of friends and became especially close with a number of them through conversation via IRC chat. Unlike many of my real life friends, the interactions forged online fostered a sense of camaraderie since we engaged in a plethora of activities. Although I have since stopped playing the game, I still keep in contact with a few who still play. It's quite amazing to have friendships online that have lasted up to six years and still growing strong.
Since people usually do things online by interest, it is by those acts they will typically find various communities revolve around respective subjects. Sometimes, the newcomers feel compelled to immerse in the community and become an active contributor. The community is united by an interest that all members share, whether it be a political/social issue, game, information, or any other possible topic. If it exists, there is likely an online community solely devoted to it. I think meeting people online is definitely a viable method of creating meaningful relationships. The friendships made are just as valuable as any in-person relationships. Those who think otherwise have obviously not made any sort of friendships online.
As a society, both real life and virtual worlds should exist to facilitate discussion. They accomplish the same things; the only difference is the method on how goals are achieved. People may have a preference to online chat versus face to face, or vice versa. Our society needs to accept these relationships because ultimately it all comes down to people talking to people about what they love.
Your post reminds me of my childhood years spent on Neopets. I agree that many lasting friendships can be formed online. I myself however, have never had the chance to really form a friendship online, as my internet usage was closely monitored by my parents. I remember always joining random guilds in hopes that I could meet a friend. It was always hard for me to really get to know people, with time differences and my inability to really be an active user.
ReplyDelete